Dayinthelife

Monday, January 21, 2013

A DIY Christmas!

So I haven't had time to even think about this blog in...well...too long, mainly due to my 2 jobs (6 day work weeks), keeping up with house work, and my other blog dedicated to Shannon and domestic violence. But, I thought I should start keeping up with it.

I thought I would start of my return with my DIY Christmas. I had so much fun making my decorations (especially since I had a house and a fireplace to decorate)! I didn't get to do as much as I had wanted to this year, but I hope to continue building onto my decor each year.

Here's a sample of what I concocted this year:


I LOVED decorating a mantel. I've never had one before (which meant I didn't have stockings either). It was pretty simple but I thought it looked good for my first try.

Firstly, the wall hangings above the mantel are DIY. Here's a better look:

It was a simple touch that really made my mantel, I think. And, it was so easy!
All it is fabric over foam board and raffia as the hanger.

For the original tutorial, check out Pens and Needles blog.

And the best part, I'm just going to replace the fabric and hang it year round!

Now for the actual mantel; I wish I could take credit for the stockings, but I can't. I have no clue how to sew, so those were bought at Hobby Lobby. 

For the garland, I bought cheap garland (at Hobby Lobby), battery powered LED lights, and used some old burlap I had lying around and just twisted them all together.
The "NOEL" was an idea I had gotten off of pinterest. I bought wooden letters and a small wreath for the "o." I added the white stems of berries to the wreath and painted and distressed the letters. This was probably my favorite decoration this year!

The last piece of my DIY Christmas was my table runner. 

All you need is burlap, ribbon in 2 colors of your choice, jute webbing, stencils, paint, and hot glue.
The original inspiration came from this article.
I just added my own touch by painting on the jute webbing using stencils and acrylic paint.
Now this was tedious and if you don't have patience, this may not be for you.

Although this wasn't DIY besides being handmade (not by me), I got this piece right before Christmas and loved, loved, loved it.  Add a couple cute fabric snowmen to add that country charm and it was ready for the holidays!

Well, that was my DIY Christmas. I hope you enjoyed it! I know I did!

I hope you all enjoy what is to come and laugh every chance you get!







No comments:

Post a Comment